Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Personal Appeal

Friends,

I know that you have been bombarded with campaign messages, and probably can't wait for this election season to be over.

But I hope you won't mind me asking for your help one more time, because I am seriously concerned about what is happening this year, around the country, and right here in Waldo County.

Many of you are unhappy with the state of things in Washington, and I understand. I probably share many of your concerns. Some of you may not agree with my choice of candidates in the race for governor, but that's all right, friends can disagree.

The reason I am writing, though, is closer to home. I am writing to ask you to help out six good people.

Six good people. John Piotti. Veronica Magnan. Joe Brooks. Erin Herbig. Andy O'Brien. Helen Sahadi. The Democratic candidates for Legislative office in Waldo County.

I count them as friends. But, more to the point, I know them all to be thoughtful, compassionate and dedicated individuals, who entered into this tough endeavor because they sincerely think they can help our community and our state.

The Republicans are going to unprecedented lengths to defeat them. Multiple attack mailings. Push polling. Out of state phone banks. Imagine that, phone banks in Florida and elsewhere calling Waldo County to try to sway our election! They have made a mockery of Maine's Clean Elections law. They have spread lies and innuendoes, willing to do or say anything to defeat these six good people.

Many of you have already helped out on the campaign, and I thank you for your efforts. But we need more help, or the GOP money machine will swamp us. We don't have a fortune to counter it, all we have is our determination and our willingness to fight back. All we have is our hearts.

Please, if you can give us any time at all on election day, we can do this. We can help these six good people.

Our campaign office is at 103 Main Street in Belfast. The phone number there is 338-5543.

Thank you for reading this post. I hope you will help.

Neal Harkness

No comments:

Post a Comment